The Directors General for the Civil Protection in the Baltic Sea Region held their 15th meeting, which took place in Iceland on 11 May 2017. The meeting, chaired by Hjálmar Björgvinsson, Superintendent at the National Commissioner of the Icelandic Police, resulted in an adoption of a historic Joint Position on Enhancing Cooperation in Civil Protection Area. The joint position encourages all expert networks, working in the field of civil protection ( such as the CBSS Civil Protection Network, the EUSBSR Policy Area Secure and all other relevant networks) to increase cooperation within the following priority areas:
- Building a common societal security culture.
- Combining national efforts in implementing the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction
- Strengthening cross-sectorial cooperation in CBRN(E) preparedness
- Increasing involvement of the local authorities and civil society organizations
- Seeking more funds for macro-regional civil security cooperation from a broad range of EU programmes.
- Initiating projects as platforms for innovation and cooperation.
- Making better exploitation and coordination of research and project results.
- Developing demand-driven and well-tailored training and education.